The Story of the Nipissing and Nosbonsing Railway (1883-1912)

Using newspaper articles, archival materials, interviews with descendants and the diaries of Tom Darling, the manager of the operation, this book will tell the story of a five mile long railway built by lumber baron J. R. Booth to carry logs between Lake Nipissing and Lake Nosbonsing. It is the story of engineering ingenuity, conflict between rival railways, a large paddle wheel steamship, Conflict and cooperation between the French and English communities, life in the lumber camps and the small villages that developed near by. Excerpts from diaries reveal day to day life in Northern Ontario’s early days. This book will be of interest to logging and train buffs, the local community and a general audience interested in Ontario social history. 

Approximately 150 pages long, Photographs, Illustrations and Maps.